10 Reasons to Visit Ethiopia
Ethiopia is an inexhaustible source of wonder for travelers — a sprawling country of ancient African civilization, colorful festivals, breath-taking landscapes, diverse tribal culture, and amazingly friendly people.
There are countless reasons to visit this fascinating country. Here are just ten:
- Visit the remarkable rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, built from 1200 AD and often referred to as one of the "living wonders of the world".
- See the 3000-year-old ancient city of Axum, the land of the Queen of Sheba, and the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Explore an amazing mix of tribal ethnic groups in the Omo Valley.
- Trek on the "Roof of Africa", The Simien Mountains — one of the most spectacular mountain ranges in Africa.
- Discover many exciting endemic wildlife species.
- Explore an alien landscape on earth — the Denakil Depression is one of the lowest and hottest places on earth, and the lava trek to Ertale Lava Lake is otherwordly.
- Enjoy the beautiful national parks and lakes of the Great Ethiopian Rift Valley.
- Embark on a boat cruise to Lake Tana to visit some of the ancient island monasteries and see the source of the mighty Blue Nile River, part of the second-longest river in the world.
- Marvel at the fairytale castles of Gondar.
- Get lost in the walled and colorful medieval Islamic city of Harar.
- Meet your ancient ancestor Lucy, the 3.2-million-year-old hominoid skeleton in the National Museum in Addis Ababa. This truly is a journey to the land where all began!
Ethiopia, once called Abyssinia, has beckoned explorers, writers, and adventure seekers for thousands of years. It's as exotic and exciting as it sounds. After all, this is the land where it all began. Now, it's your turn to experience this truly magical land!