Wildlife Holiday to the Bale Mountains National Park — 3 Days
- Trip Type Nature and Wildlife
- Tour Code GHET-WE2
- Private Journey
- 3 Days
- Enjoy a unique wildlife holiday in the largest Afro-Alpine habitant in the whole of Africa. Bale Mountains is a high-altitude plateau fragmented by numerous volcanic plugs and peaks, beautiful alpine lakes, and mountain streams that run down in the deep rocky gorges on their way to the lowlands. It is a haven for various endemic mammals including the endangered African Wolf, the Mountain Nyala, Menelik's Bushbuck, and many endemic birds and other mammals.
Enjoy a unique wildlife holiday in the largest Afro-Alpine habitant in the whole of Africa. Bale Mountains is a high-altitude plateau that is fragmented by numerous remarkable volcanic plugs and peaks, beautiful alpine lakes, and mountain streams that run down into the deep rocky gorges on their way to the lowlands. It is haven for various endemic mammals including the African Wolf, Mountain Nyala, and Menelik's Bushbuck, as well as many endemic birds.
The highlights of this wildlife holiday will be the endangered Ethiopian Wolf, a rare creature unique to the highlands of Ethiopia. On this tour, we will also have the chance to see the gorgeous Mountain Nyala, the delightful Bale Monkey, and many endemic birds, as we will be touring around one of the continent's top five birding hot spots.
- Enjoy endemic wildlife holiday in the beautiful Bale Mountains
- See the African Wolf and Ethiopian Red Wolf
- Watch the Mountain Nyala and Menelik's Bushbuck, which are endemic to the Bale Mountains
- Spot endemic birds and other mammals
- Go on a city tour of Addis Ababa
Day 1: Addis Ababa, Bale Mountains National Park
In the morning, drive southeast of Addis Ababa on the new express road to Dinsho, in the heart of Bale Mountains National Park. This is one of the biggest Afro-Alpine habitats on the entire African continent.
In the afternoon, we will do a game drive to visit some of the endemic mammals in the park including the Bale Mountain Nyala, Menelik's Bushbuck, and Warthogs.
Overnight: Wabi Shebele Hotel, Goba (Meals: L, D)
Day 2: Goba, Senettie Plateau
In the morning, drive through the high plateau of one of the most beautiful parts of the park. This is the territory of the endemic Ethiopian Red Wolf. This endangered canine is the only wolf family found in Africa. It can be spotted commonly here in the vast Afro-Alpine vegetation hunting Giant Mallrats, on which it commonly feeds.
On this well conserved Afro-Alpine ecosystem, you will definitely see some endemic birds like the Blue-Winged Goose, as well as the Giant Mallrats. Later in the afternoon, we will take a relaxing trek around Gesse Valley where we can see much more wildlife and enjoy the scenic view walking around the valley.
Overnight: Wabi Shebele Hotel, Goba (Meals: B, L, D)
Day 3: Goba, Lake Ziway, Addis Ababa
In the morning, drive northwest to the Ethiopian Great Rift Valley Lakes Region. In this region, you will find chains of beautiful Rift Valley lakes, which are home to many birds and other wildlife. Enroute, we will stop at Lake Ziway, one of the biggest Rift Valley lakes. Lake Ziway is very famous for its abundant birdlife. We will have lunch at Haile Resort on the shore of Lake Ziway.
After our visit to the lakes, we drive back to Addis Ababa through the new expressway, which starts at Mojo, arriving in Addis Ababa late in afternoon. End of tour. (Meals: B, L)