The Historic Route with Tigray Rock-Hewn Churches 14 days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-024
- Private Journey
- 14 Days
- Discover the land what used to be one the greatest kingdoms of the world. Enjoy breathtaking scenery and endemic wildlife. This is a guided private tour the Classic Historic Route of Ethiopia, Simien Mountains National Park as well as the less visited, but amazing Tigray Rock-Hewn Churches.
Discover the land what used to be one the greatest kingdoms of the world as you travel to the Historic Route of Ethiopia, Simien Mountains & Tigray Rock-Hewn Churches. This cultural tour combines some of the most ancient history and culture of Ethiopia and its people to the most breathtaking sceneries of the Simien Mountains and Gerhlta area. On this tour you will also have the chance to view some endemic wildlife in the Simien Mountains.
- Visit 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, “the living wonders of the world”
- Enjoy the magnificent nature and endemic wilife of Simien Mountains
- Be carried away by the magnificent scnery of Simien & Tigram Mountains
- Explore the less visited Tigray Rock-hewn Churches
- Travel back in time to explore the ancient city of Axum the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gonder
- Take cruise on Lake Tana to visit the ancient Island monasteries
- Site the source of the mighty river, the Blue Nile & Blue Nile falls
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa, Africa’s Capita
- Meet your ancestor LUCY at the National Museum in Addis Ababa
- Test varied Ethiopian food and attend Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony
Day 01: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and afternoon city tour of Addis Ababa.
Day 02: Addis Ababa-Bahirdar
In the morning, drive to Bahirdar through the Great Blue Nile Gorge.
Day 03: Lake Tana-Blue Nile Falls-Bahir Dar
In the morning, visit the ancient island monasteries of Lake Tana. In the afternoon, visit the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 04: Bahir Dar-Gondar
After breakfast, drive to Gondar through the beautiful countryside scenery. In the afternoon visit the castle compound from the 17th century and Debre Birhan Selassie church.
Day 05: Gondar-Simien Mountains National Park
After an early breakfast, we will drive to the Simien mountains National park. The rest of the day, trek around the park
Day 06: Simien Mountains National Park-Axum
After breakfast start driving to Axum through the beautiful sceneries of Simien Mountains, Limalimo, Tekeze River Gorge.
Day 07: Axum-Yeha
After breakfast, we will start to visit the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, an excursion to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 08: Axum-Hauzien
In the morning, drive to Hauzien, the center of some of the most ancient rock-hewn churches, through the stunning and historical mountainous of Adwa.
Day 09: Hauzien
Today, you will explore the Tigray rock-hewn churches and the beautiful surrounding mountains of the area.
Day 10: Hauzien-Mekele
In the morning, drive to Mekele en-route visit some of the most ancient Tigray rock-hewn churches including: Wikro Cherkos, Abrha We-atsbeha, Dugum Selassie and so on.
Day 11: Mekele-Lalibela
After breakfast, start driving north to Lalibela through Sekota en-route you will visit Yimrhane Kirstos and different villages of the Agwe tribal people.
Day 12: Rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
In the morning, visit the first group of rock-hewn churches from the 1200 AD. In the afternoon, continue visiting the rock-hewn churches in the second group.
Day 13: Lalibela-Asheten Mariam
In the morning, mule ride, and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery.
Day 14: Lalibela-Addis Ababa-Departure
After breakfast, transfer to Lalibela airport for the flight to Addis Ababa. The rest of the day city tour of Addis Ababa which include: the National Museum, Ethnographic Museum and Merkato the largest open air market in Africa.
In the evening, traditional dinner with live cultural dance show of the different tribes. At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back. End of tour!