Ancient city of Axum & the Rock-Hewn churches of Lalibela 5 days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-035
- Private Journey
- 5 Days
- This is a journey to takes you to the two ancient cities of Ethiopia on Ethiopia’s Historic North. Both are listed under UNESCO’S World Heritage Sites. Axum is the birthplace of Ethiopian civilization. The Holy Ark of the Covenant was brought here before the destruction of the Temple, and Axum is reputed to be the second Jerusalem.
This is a journey to Ethiopia’s past and present. This cultural tour takes you to the two ancient cities of Ethiopia on Ethiopia’s Historic North. Both are listed under UNESCO’S World Heritage Sites.
Axum is the birthplace of Ethiopian civilization, and by the first century Axum was a major trading center for exotic goods from Egypt, Rome, Nubia, Greece, Syria, and India. The Holy Ark of the Covenant was brought here before the destruction of the Temple, and Axum is reputed to be the second Jerusalem.
The rock-hewn churches of Lalibela are world's most incredible man-made creations, commonly referred by many as the “living wonders of the world” These remarkable edifices were carved out of solid rock, in a region where the rugged landscape still protects the churches from mass tourism. The 11 man-made churches are found in the town of Lalibela and they are a lasting monument to man's faith in God.
- Explore two of the most ancient cities of Ethiopia, the two UNESCO Sites
- Ancient the ancient city of Axum, the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant
- Visit the ruin of the palace of the Queen of Sheba
- Visit the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, ‘the living wonders of the world’
- Enjoy a city tour of Addis Ababa and meet Lucy at the National Museum
- Meet with the local people and attend Ethiopian coffee ceremony
- Test varied Ethiopian dishes and attend live cultural dance ceremony
Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and afternoon city tour of Addis Ababa.
Fly to Axum and full day explore the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, an excursion to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
In the morning, fly to Lalibela and visit the first group of rock-hewn churches from the 1200 AD.
In the morning, mule ride, and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery. In the afternoon, visit the second group of rock-hewn churches.
In the morning, fly to Addis Ababa. The rest of the day city tour of Addis Ababa which include: Merkato, Entoto and Piassa. In the evening, there will be traditional dinner and live cultural dance show. At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back. End of tour.