Ancient City of Axum and the Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela — 5 Days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-035
- Private Journey
- 5 Days
- This is a journey to takes you to the two ancient cities of Ethiopia on Ethiopia’s Historic North. Both are listed under UNESCO’S World Heritage Sites. Axum is the birthplace of Ethiopian civilization. The Holy Ark of the Covenant was brought here before the destruction of the Temple, and Axum is reputed to be the second Jerusalem.
This is a journey to Ethiopia’s past and present. This cultural tour takes you to the two ancient cities of Ethiopia in Ethiopia’s Historic North. Both are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Axum is the birthplace of Ethiopian civilization. By the first century, Axum was a major trading center for exotic goods from Egypt, Rome, Nubia, Greece, Syria, and India. The Holy Ark of the Covenant was brought here before the destruction of the temple, and Axum is reputed to be the second Jerusalem.
The 11 rock-hewn churches of Lalibela are one of the world's most incredible manmade creations, commonly referred to as one of the “living wonders of the world”. These remarkable edifices were carved out of solid rock, in a region where the rugged landscape still protects the churches from mass tourism.
- Explore two of the most ancient cities of Ethiopia, which are also UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- See the ancient city of Axum, the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Explore the ruins of the palace of the Queen of Sheba.
- Visit the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of "the living wonders of the world".
- Take a city tour of Addis Ababa and meet Lucy at the National Museum.
- Meet with the local people.
- Try various Ethiopian dishes.
- Attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
- Enjoy a live cultural dance ceremony.
Day 1: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and spend the afternoon taking a city tour of Addis Ababa.
Day 2: Addis Ababa, Axum
Fly to Axum and have the full day to explore the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, take an excursion to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 3: Axum, Lalibela
In the morning, fly to Lalibela and visit the first group of rock-hewn churches built from 1200 AD.
Day 4: Lalibela, Asheten Mariam
In the morning, take a mule ride and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery. In the afternoon, visit the second group of rock-hewn churches.
Day 5: Lalibela, Addis Ababa
In the morning, fly to Addis Ababa. The rest of the day will be a city tour of Addis Ababa that includes the Mercato, Entoto, and Piassa. In the evening, there will be traditional dinner and live cultural dance show. At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back. End of tour.